Beautiful material options (not often considered or known)

home Forums General Discussion Beautiful material options (not often considered or known)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Dizzie
      Participant

Thanks Chris. I used GOM Chocolate to build 7 acoustic panels for may main audio room and another color to make 4 panels for another room. In my main room the acoustic panels are very close to the color of my speaker cloth.

I used fabric from speakerworks.com supplied by Roger for my speakers. The fabric has a smoother finish. More like silk. Speakerworks used to offer more colors. Maybe Roger knows who supplied them and can still get other colors.

Hint, hint, hint. Roger should keep scraps of cloth used to send samples to customers.

For my speakers I took a different approach. I went for a disappearing act. I had walnut wood stained to match my equipment rack and platforms. Then I chose cloth to match very closely. The attached picture is misleading because the photo shows too much contrast. To the naked eye, the cloth and wood disappear into each other. The fabric is not that red. And my walls are not gray. They are tan.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Dizzie.
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
          ChrisSoundLab
          Participant

Thanks Dizzie, Yes it is really hard and frustrating using a camera to show what our eyes actually see. It seems that Duvaltex will still send a card sample of swatches if your order (I believe there must be some charge for this) I got a yard (minimum) of each color available 2 years ago which is how I was able to take the photos of swatches you see in my post. They are a significant weight (I’m flying in from Japan) so I will just bring a selection to the California show next month. If someone is coming and wants me to bring a color I can do that if requested.
            I used these photos to help one customer last week to choose (he had narrowed down to these types of colors) and the close up (wheat against walnut) helped him decide the final.

Attachments:
            Dizzie
            Participant

Here is another photo. Again the camera lies. Cloth is not that red and very closely matches the wood. Walls are tan, not gray.

Attachments:
            ChrisSoundLab
            Participant

As this is SL owners group, I believe most have a pair, new or old. Some or many may not have known all the options available for grills. Some might want to ‘refresh’ what they have or consider options when they send in panels to be upgraded to PX panels (for example) Certainly the default ‘black’ is beautiful in its own right, but for something so large and which may be in your living room (or multipurpose area) the color you choose can really affect the mood, space, and be a wonderful complement as an architectural statement (in my opinion)
              The materials SL uses come from a Canadian company Guildford of Maine and I believe recently they were merged into the large parent company Duvaltex – but thankfully Duvaltex has kept their product as a ‘collection’ – appropriately called ‘Guildford of Maine Collection’ (using only the line called FR701 2100)
              They have a great website that shows the colors/textures with options to ‘shine’ light on them and get a good detail of what the fabric is like. Some of the colors have been discontinued, but still 44 colors on the website.
              Please check it out if you have interest.
              https://duvaltex.com/en-ca/products/fr701r?backpage=82

I’ve attached some photos… not all the colors in my photos are available, but most and I had Roger make little maquette wood frames just to give an idea of how they might look with the wood frame.
              Any questions welcome.

Attachments:
          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.