THe brilliance control December 16, 2018, 11:13am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Archived Sound Lab Owners Forum - Please go to http://www.soundlabowners.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  THe brilliance control

THe brilliance control Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
p_reale
April 27, 2013, 10:49am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I know that many members have eliminated the brilliance control, but I was wondering if it functions like the other switches for mids and bass: all the way up (like 5 o' clock) would be + 3dB, while 12 o' clock would be 0 and all the way down (7o' clock) would be -3.  I find that with the new toroids, my M-1 PX's  sound best with the brilliance control set a little before 12 0' clock. The mid switch is at 0 dB and the bass is at -3 dB.
William
April 27, 2013, 8:02pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
You have a $50,000 system (at the least) running through a $30 "brilliance control."

Use a 300 watt fixed resistor if you have to, but get rid of the pot.

You have not heard good highs till you do it.
E-mail Reply: 1 - 4
p_reale
April 28, 2013, 11:27am Report to Moderator
Guest User
OK: if the knob is set at 12 o'clock, what would the resistance be?
E-mail Reply: 2 - 4
William
April 29, 2013, 12:14am Report to Moderator
Guest User
If you do not have a multi meter, perhaps it is best to leave it.
E-mail Reply: 3 - 4
p_reale
April 29, 2013, 6:12am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I can measure the resistance, but I thought that it would be reasonable to have a range of resistors on hand before I take the backplates apart. Another issue is that it seems that every time I put in something new (PX panels, new caps in the RC network, etc.) the sound is very bright until the new part is broken in. I seem to remember that someone suggested a selector switch with a range of resistors. What would that range be? Please advise.
E-mail Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread